- This is our Dog Friendly Links to Local Walks Page. For more Dog Walks in the Castle's Gardens & Craig y Nos Country Park see our Castle Garden & Grounds Dog Walks Index here, or scroll to the bottom of this page.
"A unique gothic Welsh Castle conveniently set within a glorious 40 acre Country Park
with idyllic shaded Woodland paths, Lakes and off-the-lead Dog Walks - right on your doorstep"
Nice Walks very close to Craig y Nos Castle
The Country Park is beautiful in all weathers and seasons and is right at the bottom of our garden. There is no need to use your car during a short break, as there are plenty of walks straight from our doorstep.
For longer stays there are numerous great walks within a short drive, the closest being:
1. Brecon Beacons Mountain Centre (quick to drive to if you know the shortcut turning right at Defynog and then taking the first single track road on left a couple of miles along - it is unmarked but brings you to the Mountain Centre walks. Or carry on to Libanus and follow the signs (first left once at Libanus). 25 minutes maybe, using short-cut, otherwise 35 minutes.
2. Lady of the Lake Walk - follow directions on the link. Maybe 7 minutes or so drive from castle. Lake of Arthurian legend (King Arthur and sword of Excalibur story) is 30 minutes walk up the mountainside. Lake is easy to miss though. Follow directions on the link. Circular walk around lake takes another 40 minutes or so.
3. Henrhyd Water Falls - left out of castle, then left at Penycae Inn, about six minutes drive from the castle. A lot of guests do this walk. Has small (free) car park beside it. Steep path down to Falls - you can walk behind the waterfall.
4. Penwyllt Walk - left out of castle and first left up the hill. A bit bleak but nice and remote once up in the hills. Also can be reached from behind the country park if you fancy a bit of a climb. Nature reserve, caving club, Patti's private railway station, lots of history but needs more storyboards to explain what Pennwyllt once was.
5. Mountain Walk - opposite the castle - just cross the road turn left then first right just south of the coach house. However it is very difficult to find the World War 2 planewreck. You can get lost up here. Aim to come down behind the Welsh Show caves, cross the road and then back through a gate into the Country Park.
6. Usk Reservoir - one of the best circular walks locally, half an hours drive over mountain lanes and country lanes to get to it, well worth doing on a good weather day, enjoy the spectacular views.
Discover everything you need to know about what to do and what to see, when you are here.
Dogs & Local Walks on our doorstep (no need to take the car)
1. Dog Walks in the Country Park - Meadow Walks
2. Dog Walks in the Country Park - Woodland Walks
3. Dog Walks up our nearest Mountain, returning via the Welsh Show Caves - Mountain Walk
Dog friendly Nearby Walks (taking the car a short distance)
1. Dog Walks at the Brecon Mountain Centre Walk
2. Local Waterfalls Walk - Henrhyd Waterfalls Walk
3. Local Mountain Lake Walk - Lady of the Lake of Arthurian Legend Walk
5. Circular 2 hour all the round the Reservoir Walk - Usk Reservoir Walk
Touring and Scenery - further afield
1. The Elan Village and Reservoirs
2. Brecon Town
5. Dinefwr Castle and Parkland (National Trust)
7, Lynne Brianne Reservoir Drive and Walks
8. Talybont on Usk Reservoir and Walks
10. Many more Outings with Dogs - another huge resource of dog friendly outings (most allow dogs - exceptions are advised on our list)
11. Suggested Itinerary of what to do and see in the area, on a 4 or 5 day break